Corrosion Engineering, a division of ErgonArmor, manufactures a broad range of nonmetallic linings and materials to protect industrial infrastructure and equipment against corrosion. ErgonArmor, one of several Ergon, Inc. enterprises, is home to its Blackhawk, Novocoat, Ertech, and Corrosion Engineering divisions, which manufacture technologies for corrosion protection, moisture infiltration, adhesion, sound dampening, and surface treatment.
Corrosion Engineering’s heritage extends back to its founding at Pennsylvania Salt in the 1940’s, where it began developing chemical resistant brick mortars for the company’s pulp and paper chemicals manufacturing plants. Since then, the business’ sophisticated line of chemical resistant brick mortars has expanded to include a broad range of corrosion protection technologies for multinational clients. Though Corrosion Engineering has been providing solutions to industrial corrosion problems for over 60 years, it has been doing so as part of ErgonArmor only since December 2011. The following timeline traces Corrosion Engineering’s former ownership and history of innovation.
1940’s The Corrosion Engineering Department was formed by the Pennsylvania Salt Corporation to develop technical solutions for the chemical process industries corrosion problems within their own facilities. Pennsalt is renamed Pennwalt as a result of its merger with Wallace and Tiernan.
1960’s Corrosion Engineering commercial business unit is formed and begins marketing CORLOK B® Mortar into global power markets, and FURALAC® Mortars for the chemical process industries. PENNTROWEL® monolithic trowel applied linings are introduced as a low cost alternate to brick systems.
1970’s TUFCHEM® Polymer Concrete family of products is introduced. CORLOK®, HES®, HB®, K-14® and FURALAC® Mortars become well known trade names for use in brick linings for the mining, metallurgical, and chemical process industries. FLEXJOINT® Joint Sealant family of products is introduced.
1980’s Corrosion Engineering introduces PENNGUARD® Block into the global power industry for flue gas desulfurization duct and chimney lining applications. PENNCOAT® Linings are introduced to meet the growing demand for secondary containment linings.
1990’s Corrosion Engineering introduces ACROLINE® Systems to North America – the most sophisticated anchored thermoplastic suite of linings in the world. PENNCHEM® family of mortars is introduced for the pulp and paper industry and specific applications with-in the food, beverage and pharmaceutical industries.
2001 Corrosion Engineering is acquired by Henkel Corporation. The Corrosion Engineering business becomes part of a worldwide specialist company in applied chemistry. Henkel operates in over 70 countries, backed by 52000 employees committed to customer satisfaction.
2002 Corrosion Engineering introduces high-performance TUFCHEM® Tiling Systems featuring fully vitrified ceramic tile technology for food, beverage, pharmaceutical, and chemical industry flooring applications.
2010 Corrosion Engineering posts record sales and earnings as the global use of its PENNGUARD® Block Lining System for chimney and duct linings for fossil fueled power plants continues to expand.
2011 Corrosion Engineering announces the introduction of USA made ceramic tile units to complement its TUFCHEM® Tiling System.
2011 Ergon Asphalt and Emulsions, Inc. acquires the Corrosion Engineering division from Henkel Corporation in December of 2011. Corrosion Engineering operates as a division of ErgonArmor.